Friday 19 August 2011

Cookham: A Village Made in Heaven

A rather rushed one this....a few pics of the place I grew up in Cookham in Berkshire.
Famous for its Stanley Spencer connection, the artisit who lived here and the main body of his work was painted here....

A pic of the village taken from the "MOOR"....
 This is one of Two indian Restaurants here, it used to be fantastic but has been over taken by Maliks over the road......walking down this high street at night which is only small was a feast for the senses, as well as being very pretty of course the smells got you.....the amazing smell of the tandori, then further on the sweet aromas from the chinese......then another indian.....

Moody shot of the riverside....
The church, used alot in Stans paitings, I remember it mostly at Christmas for Cristingle, the smell of oranges, the candle light and singing my fav carol at that time - Little Donkey......I dont know why I am thinking of christmas, maybe its because I saw Harrods have already opened up thier grotto??

This is where he lived....
Some pretty cottages by the Moor....

Mysertious house by the river, I used to love this house then a long time ago the rumour was it was purchased by Arabs and no one saw a soul there since.....it seems run down now....
Just round the bend of the river - lies Cliveden. Subject of another post maybe...



No comments:

Post a Comment