Saturday 13 August 2011

Operation Cottage Garden:Sweet Pea Virgin

Operation Cottage Garden - As a total novice where do I start?
Four years ago I was a sweet pea virgin.The name sounds lovely and romantic but I had no idea what they were, my Dad suggested I get some, so I did. This was the start of project " cottage garden".
Year one: I brought a few pots from the garden center. I put them in the wrong place, didnt support them properly, but learnt a little more about them. 
Year Two: This time put a support around them and waited eagerly for them to grow. I waited, and I waited. Kicking around the shed I happened across the pot I brought them in,  the label said  -" Dwarf variety"!
Year Three: I told my husband that I must be drowning in sweet pea this year and I sowed my own, checking the seed packets for height, scent, colour and longeviety. Every kitchen worksurface was taken up by tray upon tray of budding sweet peas.












































Year Four: Have a much better understanding of them, loads more of them and I realised I can cut them and bring them in to enjoy them. I have five sweet pea " sites" and shall be increasing that - year five.
Cutting my own flowers and arranging displays has brought me un expected and deep pleasure. Infact I felt a little OTT about the amount of pleasure I experienced, until The Delicous Monty Don admitted  to the same on Gardners World.
Is it odd that I have a small crush on Monty...



1 comment: