Friday 19 August 2011

What Made me Smile Today...

We took our daughter to the Natural History Museum in London, and then to the Science Museum next door, on our way to the fab childs play area called "The Garden", we passed thru a corridor of old retro appliances and I saw this record player and stopped dead.
My sister and her husband brought one of these in the 1980's when it was the latest thing on the market....I think it played both side of the tape and record without having to manually turn it over!
I remembered the amazing music that used to come from it....they were alot older than me, I remembered sitting on her carpet in her sitting room, a crackling fire, her two lovely dogs and views of fields all around....listening to Life on Mars - David Bowie for the first time EVER......and Billy Joel - Piano Man.....then jumping up to dance to Talking Heads - Mr Jones.....put a wiggle in your stride.....
Eventually it came to me, when they up graded and it was of course broken...but I had so much fun fiddling round with it trying to fix it....the joy when soemthing happened and the record turned.....
I have to say I am not a CD fan at all, I still have tapes that still work that are over 20 years old, but CD's that are weeks old, scratched and useless...people say take care of them but being careful and " taking care" of cd's is at odds with music enjoyment - in my mind anyway....now I am onto digital music so that should fare better.....





No comments:

Post a Comment